Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Jun. 19—PORTLAND — For the second time in four years, the Waynflete Flyers are the Class C boys lacrosse state champions.

Paced by Sam Whipple’s five goals, the top-seeded Flyers defeated second-seeded Oak Hill/Monmouth/Lisbon 17-5 at Fitzpatrick Stadium on Saturday.

Harry Millspaugh scored twice and added four assists for the Flyers (14-1).

Riley Worth scored once and had an assist for the Raiders (13-1).

Both goalies made saves in the opening minute of the game. Waynflete had the first shot on goal but it was stopped by Oak Hill/Monmouth/Lisbon’s Nick Michaud. The Raiders then ran down the field and unleashed a shot that was saved by Alex Vest.

From that point on, Waynflete took over the first half. Millspaugh set up the game’s opening two goals. Whipple’s first score, which came 90 seconds into the first quarter, put the Flyers up 1-0. About a minute later, Roan Hopkins ripped a shot past Michaud for a two-goal lead.

Whipple added an unassisted goal, Millspaugh scored his first of the game and Nico Kirby added one to push the Flyers’ lead to 5-0 after one quarter.

Whipple opened the scoring in the second quarter for a 6-0 lead nearly at the four-minute mark.

Nils Burton-Johanson had a hand in Waynflete’s next three goals. First, he scored off an assist by Millsaugh. Then he set up Whipple’s second goal of the quarter and a goal by Seth Cloutier to make it 9-0 for the Flyers.

Oak Hill finally broke through at the end of the second quarter when long-stick defenseman Jacob Godbout ran down the field and his bounce shot beat Vest.

The Raiders carried the momentum into the second half, and Tiger Hopkins’ cross-field reached Travis Caron, who fired the ball into the net. Riley Worth then scored the Raiders’ third straight goal to cut the deficit to 9-3.

The Flyers stopped Oak Hill’s run midway through the third quarter when Ned Lane scored his first goal of the game and Cloutier scored his second.

In the final minute of the third quarter, Owen Anderson scored a man-down goal that reestablished Waynflete’s nine-goal cushion at 12-3.

The teams traded scores in the fourth quarter, Gabe Samson scoring a man-down goal for the Raiders and Lane responding for the Flyers for a 13-4 lead.

Whipple tallied his fifth goal of the game midway through the fourth quarter, and Millspaugh and Lane added goals for Waynflete.

D’andre Daniels scored the Raiders’ fifth and final goal, and then Waynflete’s Ben Adey capped the scoring.