Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer
Premier League plans new rule to expel clubs who plot breakaways after Super League fiasco - Getty Images

Premier League plans new rule to expel clubs who plot breakaways after Super League fiasco – Getty Images

The Premier League is set to ban future breakaway plots by inserting a new clause in its rulebook warning all clubs they face automatic and permanent expulsion.

A review of governance sparked even before the emergence of the Project Big Picture last year was considering tougher measures to stabilise the competition. The European Super League fiasco has now cemented the determination of chief executive Richard Masters to push through the amends.

A source close to talks said the plan will “kill off the threat of a breakaway forever”, however the clause could be controversial given the league’s formation was thanks to a breakaway in 1992.

Telegraph Sport understands the new rule – to be put forward for vote when the review is published later this year – will remove any ambiguity around England top tier’s existing rule L9, which lists competitions that member clubs can play in.

Sources close to the league confirmed the changes on another tumultuous day of fallout from the collapse of the plot that would have seen Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and the two Manchester clubs form their own closed-shop European competition.

England’s European Championship adventure could now be played almost entirely at Wembley after the recent furore killed Tottenham Hotspur’s bid to host extra matches.

The national stadium will today be handed a last-16 tie originally scheduled for Dublin – and featuring the winners of England’s group – with the Irish capital unable to meet Uefa’s deadline for guaranteeing fans could attend it.

Wembley already has the most games for the tournament, three group matches, a last-16 tie, both semi-finals and the final. But it will be given an eighth match, on June 29, which could mean Gareth Southgate’s side playing all but one game at Wembley in a near-repeat of Euro 96.

An announcement will be made on Friday amid a wave of goodwill at Uefa towards Mark Bullingham, the FA’s chief executive, for his role in torpedoing a rebellion by Europe’s richest clubs this week.

Telegraph Sport has been told Bullingham played a key part in liaising with both the Duke of Cambridge and the Prime Minister, whose joint interventions fatally undermined efforts by England’s so-called ‘Big Six’ to win over fans.

“He was a quietly determined yet very effective operator behind the scenes,” confirmed one Whitehall source in response to the concerted English effort to derail the ESL. Munich, one of the other cities in doubt, is set for approval by Uefa.

Source